The days are getting cooler. We've gone (I've gone) from wearing shirt sleeves to sweaters to a coat! I haven't gotten out the "new official Utah" winter coat, yet, but I've worn the in-between seasons DI coat several times!
Robert got me a beautiful necklace for my birthday at the Church History Museum. It is a locket and has a family tree on one side and the grand kids' little birthstone charms you can see from the other side. I love it.
He was going to take me out to eat for my birthday on the 15th. In fact he had promised to take me to The Roof on the top of the Joseph Smith Building, but as it got closer, I decided what I really wanted was some of Robert's brisket and some friends to come over and visit. So he made the brisket--tender and juicy and delicious, I made potato salad and we invited the Birches and Sister Isaacson. The Birches were working nights, so they couldn't come, but Sister Isaacson came and brought her homemade chocolate mint cake balls--they were delicious! We had gotten a chocolate cake at WalMart with chocolate ganache filling, so I could really be on a chocolate high!
Dinner was scrumptious and we really enjoyed the evening. Matthew and Meghan had sent flowers, so I had a beautiful bouquet of yellow flowers on the table--sunflowers, mums--so pretty and thoughtful.
Paul's gift arrived the next Monday. He has a friend at work whose wife makes beautiful wreaths and she made a Christmas wreath out of the wired mesh. I love it--the ribbon is red and green polka dots and stripes. It's VERY pretty.
On Monday I went to the doctor at the Joseph Smith Building and was in and out in ten minutes! That doesn't happen at home. I saw him, talked to him, had a prescription and was headed back to the library.
On our P-Day on the 20th we decided to take the tour bus that goes around Salt Lake--the Hop On Hop Off bus. It's about $30, but I've been wanting to do it since we got here. Robert said we could go see the places ourselves, but I said we wouldn't know anything about them, so we decided to do it. When we walked up to pay, the lady said, "Missionaries don't pay. Get on the bus." Wow, couldn't beat that price! The tour was about an hour and a half.
![]() |
| Eagle Gate downtown Salt Lake City |
We went past Temple Square, the capitol building, the Pioneer Museum,
![]() |
| Buffalo statue near the Capitol |
up to the University of Utah and Rice Eccles Stadium where the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies were held. Then up to This is the Place Monument, past the zoo and back into town to Union Square and Rio Grande shopping area.
![]() |
| Church of the Madeleine |
We passed lots of places that they pointed out and told when they were built and details about them. It was very interesting. We really enjoyed it. I came off looking like a wild person with my hair standing straight out. I sure was glad I was getting a hair cut the next day.

Mike Nelson came by Tuesday afternoon. He and Robert served together in Vegas. Mike lives near Price, but was in Salt Lake for a meeting. They always enjoy being together.
Sister Isaacson and I have gone to two more concerts. On the 16th we heard The Orchestra at Temple Square in the Tabernacle and on the 24th went to a great piano duet in the Assembly Hall. They played many of the songs from the Sound of Music which I love. They are both university music professors and we loved their music.
We fed the elders on Sunday. This is the first time we've had missionaries from our zone and we had such a good visit with them.
Our Fireflies dinner was Monday and it was a great evening. Robert made fudge and put it in the "Beehive Serving Platter" he also made. I made pistachio 4-layer dessert and we had delicious Mexican food.
The Klopfers played the piano for us and after dinner he told us stories. He was born in East Germany and told of their escape after the war and other "tender mercies" and encouraged us to look for those in our own lives. It was a touching evening. Actually the whole day was special because the devotional that morning had some wonderful stories, too. I love hearing about the lives of the missionaries. One sister today had been born on an Indian reservation and spoke only Navajo. After she started school she went to live with a foster family and learned a whole new way of life with running water, a different language and different customs. We sang to those who were leaving and our sweet Elder Montgomery was up front with the choir. It's hard to see him go. We really become attached quickly to some of these special elders.
On Tuesday we went to Brigham City and to the temple there. It's not as big as some of them here--about the size of our Houston Temple, I think.We enjoyed our day. The Tabernacle across the street is just beautiful. I can't get it to upload right now!











No comments:
Post a Comment