Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Sacred Cow, Another Coincidence, and Singing Angels

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Have to share an experience Robert had a few days ago.  He was working out front at the library, greeting guests.  A man came up and asked what all there was to see around Temple Square and where to go to eat.

Robert realized it was Thursday, so he told him, "Oh, you should go to the Church Office Building for lunch because on Thursday they have prime rib.  It is thick and juicy and inexpensive."  He had not thought about the fact that the man had just told him he was from India.  He gave Robert a rather puzzled look and the lady working at the desk spoke up and said, "They also have an excellent salad bar!"



Yesterday afternoon as I was on the information desk a family came in looking for information on her dad's family.  She said they had been on the computer and exhausted every possibility there, they needed some other information.  Her husband said, "Her family name isn't really all that common.  It's 'Sosa.'"  I suggested she go to the International floor and see if they could suggest some records that aren't on line and then followed that up with, "And if that doesn't work, come back and see me and I'll put you in touch with some friends of mine in Houston by that name."
     She said, "Where in Houston?"
     I thought, "Where?  Lady, there are millions of people in Houston and it covers many square miles!"  I asked, "Do you know someone in Houston?"
     She said, "My brother, David."
     I said, "And his wife's name is..."
     Together we said, "Sharon!!"  Those are my friends, they used to live in our ward.  Their girls were good friends with my daughter, Katie!  She said, "Can I take your picture?  Smile and wave.  I'm sending it to my brother!"  Wow, it amazes me...

Last night we went to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir/Orchestra on Temple Square Concert entitled, "Music for a Summer Evening."  The tickets were free, but you had to have tickets.  We had had such a wild day at the library-so many, many visitors and not nearly enough people to help them all.  At one point, for an hour or so, I was doing the jobs of five people out front!  They just needed people on the floor with the guests and needed everyone they could get.  By the time we got home, Robert and I were both exhausted.  I took a 30-minute power nap, then dressed and walked across the street to the Conference Center.  Honestly, this is the BEST place to live!

The concert was GREAT!  They started out with a salute to the pioneers--"The Handcart Song," "They, the Builders of the Nation" and "Come, Come, Ye Saints."  Then they switched gears and headed to Broadway--started out with "On a Wonderful Day Like Today" and went on to George M. Cohan--"I'm a Yankee Doodle, Dandy," "Give my Regards to Broadway" and "You're a Grand Old Flag.".  Becky Cryer would have loved the tabernacle organ solo on "Give my Regards""--absolutely wonderful!  Laura Osnes was the guest soloist and she has a wonderful voice.  She sang again this morning and it didn't show it on the television broadcast, but they always end with "Til We Meet Again" and my friend who went said they had Laura and her husband come onstage and face the choir as they sang it and she had tears streaming down her face.  I believe it--it always does that to me!



Tomorrow our "Social Group" is having it's first get-together.  It's the group who came out together and are in this mission, but we serve all over the place, so most of them we only see at church on Sunday.  One couple was appointed to head up getting us together and they work in the library.  We really like them and Robert had her in tears the other day telling her about the guy from India.  We're each taking something to eat and there should be lots of good stories...

Friday is Pioneer Day and the library is closed.  I've never been in Utah for Pioneer Day before and I look forward to going to a parade.  I DO love a parade!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment