After church Sunday we met with two of the ladies we needed to see before they leave. We were glad to have that done. We went to Owen and Brenda's for lunch. Robert was glad to have the jambalaya and I enjoyed the ice cream.
Monday our Fireflies group met. We had pulled pork sandwiches, several yummy salads,potatoes, watermelon and mock eclair cake--all so good. We shared "tender mercies" afterwards. The Birches have had some major ones with their kids. Their son was drug my a horse and kicked in the face. It could so easily have had tragic consequences and he was only off work a week--no serious, permanent damage. Elder Lane said two of their sons have come back to church, which is amazing.
Tuesday we went by the library and ran off the Temple cards I had reserved. I asked Elder Lathan last week to show me how he does descendancy research and I'm not really sure what he does that's different, but somehow I felt that I could and should be doing this. I'd added about 40+ names to my reserved list, so I had them printed and put them in the mail today to send to Reba to get the baptisms done.
Then we went to Sandy and saw the floats that will be in the Pioneer Day parade next Monday. There were dozens of floats and they were beautiful! It was crazy that it brought me to tears, but I loved seeing the floats. They were so pretty and I loved the bright, happy feelings they conveyed--I loved the moose on one, the waterfall on another, the missionaries on another. There was a high school marching band playing and games for the kids, face painting, and food. It was free to get in and so much good, clean fun. I just thought how fun it was to be there and couldn't help but feel bad that it's all coming to an end.
The theme of the parade this year is "Pioneers--
Inspiring Today's Generation!"
I loved the wind turbines on the front of this float and the real waterfall on the back of it.
They call the children's parade "the happiest parade on earth" and I think it is. The floats in it are smaller and things kids love.
The wheels on this train actually went round and round!
We came back to do our shopping and then met Richard and Carolyn at our apartment and went to Park City with them. We went to the museum on Main Street and told the lady we would like to know where the Judge Mine was. I had looked in Glen's book and found that that was the mine where he was the foreman. She pulled out a map and put an X on it and said that was about the place. She called a lady who works nearby and has done a lot of research on the area. The lady was nice enough to come down and talk to us and brought us a map of the mines in the area. There is something like 1200 miles of mine shafts underground in the area!
We were able to follow the map, as well as talk to a guy cutting tile outside of his house, and found the sign for the Judge Mine right across the street.
![]() |
| This is the marker for the Judge Mine |
![]() |
| This is the opening to the Judge Mine (but the opening is covered) |
![]() |
| My grandparents may have lived on this hillside, but no beautiful condos in those days! |
And finally, this is where we ate lunch in Park City:
What a fun day! Loved the floats, loved being with family, loved seeing places where my grandparents once lived and where my mother was born.
On Wednesday we went back to the Mt. Timpanogos Temple. We were there last winter with snow on the ground, but there definitely wasn't any snow this time!











No comments:
Post a Comment