Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Love a Good Story!

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

March came in like a lamb--I walked to church Sunday without a coat!!  YIPPEE!!  Felt like I'd lost ten pounds (if only!). But the Thursday before (Feb 25th) was cold, then the 29th was warm--it changes from day to day.

In Sacrament Meeting Sunday, Elder Hale told the greatest story. I loved it. He told how John Boynton had joined the church at 23. He was very well educated, from the east, Massachusetts I think, had attended college and medical school, and became the 11th apostle in the first group of 12 in this dispensation.  He saw a lot and went through a lot and then when the Kirtland bank crashed, he left and went back to Massachusetts. His sister, Olive had also joined the church.

Olive Boynton
She and her husband were driven out of their home in Kirtland, then Missouri, then Nauvoo.  They were in a tent in Iowa and received word from her brother, "Come home. I'll take care of you. I have a house for you." She stayed. Her husband was in the high council I think and broke his leg. It must have gotten infected. He died. She was pregnant and had the baby. It died. She gathered her children around her and told them, "Follow Brother Brigham. Promise me you'll follow him." And she died. The children made it to Salt Lake. They must have ended up around Logan. Years later, their Uncle John sent them hundreds of family names. He had been doing genealogy and had spent 1000's of dollars tracking down the family. He sent them names so their work could be done in the Logan Temple. One day after work had been done for a couple of hundred members of the family, the temple president had locked the door and was walking home. He turned around to look at the temple and it was glowing red. He was afraid it was on fire and rushed back. He was told it wasn't on fire--the spirits whose work had been done had all been allowed to be there and that is why it was glowing.  John Boynton is Elder Hale's gr. gr. uncle.  Olive Boynton Hale is his gr. gr. grandmother. I know I don't have all the details correct, but I loved the story and could hear it again and again. There's nothing like a good story, and if it's a genealogy story, all the better!

Matthew didn't bring Zummos again, but I don't know how to crop the picture!
When we got home that afternoon we had a call from Matthew. We knew he had had an interview with the stake president earlier in the week and knew they were talking about splitting Beaumont Ward, but when we hadn't heard anything before we left for church, we decided it didn't happen that day. So that evening when he called he said they were told at Sacrament Meeting that there would be a meeting at 6 P.M. about dividing the ward. He and Meghan went to choir practice, then stayed for the meeting and they did it then! Matthew will be the second counselor to Bishop Long in the lst ward, but they couldn't do him that night because he isn't a high priest--that has to be done first. They named the new ward Beaumont 6th Ward and Kyle Worley is the new bishop.  That means three of their boys have been bishops! We're proud of Matthew and know he'll do his best to carry the responsibility well.  They took pictures and Matthew was embarrassed that he hadn't worn a coat and Mason had on a t-shirt--he said all of Kyle's kids were in white shirts and ties! I think he better be glad Mason was dressed!

We've heard from Sister Isaacson and she's home safe and sound though they ran into some bad wind and snow flurries in Wyoming. She said she could hardly unclench her hands from the steering wheel to get out of the car when she got here. We're glad she's back safe and sound. She has a new renter in her house and she had a good visit with her dad. I think she feels it all went well.

When we went to WalMart yesterday I got buttons to put on two of my skirts (what does that tell us?) and fabric to fuse on the hemline of Robert's new blue suit--it had come unhemmed (VERY aggravating) and he walked on it and frayed the suit fabric, so I fused fabric to it then hemmed them. Such exciting things to do on our day off.



They're making great progress on the first floor of the library. The black plastic is down and it makes the room look huge. Monday they brought in several planters of artificial plants and it warms the room up a bunch. We're supposed to be back there next Monday!  We went in yesterday to copy tax stuff to send to Nick and there are irises blooming! It's wonderful to see the bulbs coming up.


No comments:

Post a Comment